Table of Contents
Zucchini Stir Fry With Tofu (Vegan) | Walder Wellness, Dietitian (RD)
Are you looking for a delicious and healthy vegan stir fry? Look no further than this zucchini stir fry with tofu recipe from Walder Wellness. This tasty and nutritious dish is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or as a meal prep option for the week ahead. Packed with fresh flavors and wholesome ingredients, this zucchini stir fry is sure to become a new favorite in your recipe repertoire.
- 1 block tofu (firm or extra firm)
- Avocado oil spray (or other cooking spray/oil)
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium zucchinis, sliced into half-moons
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional, for added heat)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Green onions, for garnish (optional)
- Sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
1. Press the tofu in a tofu press for at least 20 minutes to remove excess water. If you don’t have a tofu press, wrap the block of tofu in paper towels and place a heavy object on top to press it down.
2. While the tofu is pressing, prepare the stir fry sauce by whisking together low-sodium soy sauce or tamari, rice wine vinegar, maple syrup, cornstarch, and red pepper flakes (if using) in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. Once the tofu is pressed, cut it into cubes and set aside.
4. Heat a large pan over medium-high heat and spray with avocado oil or cooking spray. Add the tofu to the pan and cook until golden brown on all sides. Remove the tofu from the pan and set aside.
5. In the same pan, add the thinly sliced shallot and minced garlic. Sauté for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
6. Add the sliced zucchini and bell peppers to the pan. Sauté for 5-7 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender-crisp.
7. Return the tofu to the pan with the vegetables.
8. Pour the stir fry sauce over the tofu and vegetables. Stir to combine and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
9. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
10. Garnish with sliced green onions and sesame seeds, if desired. Serve the zucchini stir fry with tofu over cooked rice or quinoa for a complete meal.
This zucchini stir fry with tofu recipe is simple to make and can easily be customized to include additional vegetables or spices to suit your taste preferences.
For more vegan recipe inspiration and meal prep ideas, be sure to check out Walder Wellness, Dietitian (RD) and her collection of simple, healthy whole food recipes.
Q: Is zucchini stir fry with tofu suitable for meal prep?
A: Yes, this zucchini stir fry with tofu is a great meal prep option. It can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days and reheated for quick and convenient meals throughout the week.
Q: Can I use other vegetables in this zucchini stir fry?
A: Absolutely! Feel free to customize this recipe by adding your favorite vegetables such as broccoli, mushrooms, snap peas, or carrots to the stir fry.
Q: What type of tofu is best for this recipe?
A: Firm or extra firm tofu is recommended for this recipe, as it holds its shape well during cooking and has a satisfying texture in the stir fry.
Q: How can I add more protein to this dish?
A: If you’re looking to increase the protein content of this zucchini stir fry, you can add edamame, chickpeas, or tempeh along with the tofu for an extra boost of plant-based protein.