Today, we’re talking all about vegan sticky sesame chickpeas. This simple and flavorful dish has been taking the plant-based world by storm, and for good reason. Packed with protein and flavor, it’s the perfect way to enjoy a quick and easy dinner that the whole family will love.
Table of Contents
What you’ll need
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 3-4 large garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1.5 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- ⅓ cup soy sauce (low sodium)
- 3 teaspoons rice vinegar
- Agave or sugar for sweetness
- Fresh ginger
There are plenty of variations on this dish, and you can easily adjust the ingredients to suit your tastes.
How to make it
The process for making sticky sesame chickpeas is simple and straightforward. Here’s a basic overview of the steps:
- If you’re using canned chickpeas, drain them and set them aside.
- Cook the garlic in a heated pan for about one minute.
- Combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, agave or sugar, and fresh ginger in a bowl and whisk together. This will form the base of your sticky sauce.
- Add the chickpeas to the pan and pour the sticky sauce over the top.
- Cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently, until the chickpeas are fully coated and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve over rice, quinoa, or your favorite grains.
That’s it! In just a few minutes, you can have a delicious and satisfying meal on the table.
1. Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, you can easily make this recipe gluten-free by using tamari instead of soy sauce. Tamari is a gluten-free alternative to soy sauce and can be found in most grocery stores.
2. Are there any nut-free alternatives for this recipe?
If you have a nut allergy, you can leave out the sesame oil and garnish the dish with toasted sesame seeds instead. This will give you that classic sesame flavor without the risk of nut contamination.
3. Can I add vegetables to this dish?
Absolutely! Feel free to add your favorite vegetables to this dish to boost the nutrition and add some color. Bell peppers, broccoli, and snap peas are all great options. Simply sauté them in the pan before adding the chickpeas and sauce.
4. How long will these chickpeas keep in the fridge?
These chickpeas will keep well in the fridge for up to 4-5 days. Store them in an airtight container to maintain maximum freshness.