Table of Contents
- Intermittent Fasting For Beginners: What To Eat & Do – Beauty Bites
- Why should you try intermittent fasting?
- What can you eat during intermittent fasting?
- FAQs about intermittent fasting
- 1. Can I drink coffee or tea while fasting?
- 2. Can I exercise while intermittent fasting?
- 3. Are there any people who should avoid intermittent fasting?
- 4. Does intermittent fasting work for everyone?
Intermittent Fasting For Beginners: What To Eat & Do – Beauty Bites
Intermittent fasting (IF) is not a diet but rather an eating pattern. It’s not about what you eat, but when you eat. While it certainly has gained in popularity over the past few years, IF has been around for ages and plays a role in many different cultures.
There are different forms of fasting, but the most popular is the 16/8 method, where one fasts for 16 hours and eats within an 8-hour window. Other forms of IF include alternate-day fasting and the 5:2 method.
The thing about intermittent fasting is that it’s generally just a shift in how you eat. This isn’t about counting calories or weighing food, which makes it popular. It’s more about avoiding eating for specific periods, rather than restricting what you’re eating.
But before deciding to jump on the intermittent fasting train, there are a few things you should know.
Why should you try intermittent fasting?
One of the most compelling reasons people try intermittent fasting is for weight loss. It’s known that our body burns fat during fasting, but the benefits go beyond mere weight loss.
- Here is a list of things intermittent fasting can help with:
- Improving cellular repair
- Promoting weight loss
- Benefiting cardiometabolic health
- Reducing inflammation
- Improving heart health
- Boosting brain function
- Reducing the risk of cancer
- And much more…
What can you eat during intermittent fasting?
When it comes to what to eat while intermittent fasting, there aren’t strict regulations or forbidden foods, as long as you stay within the eating window. However, the focus should still be on whole, nutrient-dense foods.
There is no strict diet or calorie counting involved in intermittent fasting, but common foods include:
- Protein-rich foods such as meat, poultry, seafood, eggs, nuts, and seeds
- Fruits and vegetables
- Whole grains
- Healthy fats, like avocados and olive oil
- Dairy products
FAQs about intermittent fasting
1. Can I drink coffee or tea while fasting?
Yes, you can. Black coffee or tea can be consumed without breaking your fast. Just avoid adding sugar, cream, or any other calorie-containing ingredients.
2. Can I exercise while intermittent fasting?
Yes, you can. It’s okay to exercise while fasting, but it’s recommended to avoid high-intensity workouts. Focus on less intense exercises like walking, yoga, or light jogging.
3. Are there any people who should avoid intermittent fasting?
Yes, pregnant and breastfeeding women, individuals with a history of eating disorders, and those with certain medical conditions should avoid intermittent fasting.
4. Does intermittent fasting work for everyone?
Intermittent fasting can work differently for different people. It depends on factors like lifestyle, diet, and overall health. Some people may thrive on this eating pattern while others may not feel as great.