Do you ever feel like there’s just not enough time in the day to prepare healthy meals? Do you find yourself reaching for quick, unhealthy options when you’re busy? If you answered yes to these questions, then you’re in luck! In this blog post, we’re going to share 25 healthy meal prep ideas that will simplify your life and help you stay on track with your health and wellness goals.
Table of Contents
What is Meal Prep?
Meal prep is the practice of preparing meals or ingredients ahead of time. This can involve cooking and portioning out full meals for the week, or simply prepping ingredients that can be used to quickly throw together a meal when you’re short on time. The goal of meal prep is to make healthy eating more convenient and accessible, no matter how busy your schedule may be.
25 Healthy Meal Prep Ideas
- Curry Bento Box – 10-Minute Chickpea Curry with cooked brown rice
- Mediterranean Grilled Chicken Salad with Hummus
- Carnitas Burrito Bowls
- Lemon-Garlic Chicken with Green Beans
- Sweet Potato & Black Bean Chili
- Avocado + Eggs To-Go
- Sweet Potato and Brussels Sprouts Egg Cups
These are just a few examples of the many healthy meal prep ideas you can try. Whether you’re looking for easy breakfast options, quick lunch ideas, or flavorful dinners, there are endless possibilities when it comes to meal prep.
Why Should You Meal Prep?
Meal prepping offers a wide range of benefits, including:
- Save time: By cooking and preparing your meals in advance, you can save time during the week.
- Save money: Eating out or ordering takeout can add up quickly. By meal prepping, you can save money on food costs.
- Portion control: When you portion out your meals in advance, you can better control your portion sizes and prevent overeating.
- Healthier choices: By having healthy meals ready to go, you’ll be less likely to reach for unhealthy options when you’re hungry
Getting Started with Meal Prep
If you’re new to meal prepping, it can feel a bit overwhelming at first. Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Start simple: Don’t overcomplicate things at first. Start with a few basic meals and snacks, and gradually build from there.
- Invest in quality containers: Having the right containers for storing your meals is essential. Look for options that are microwave and dishwasher safe, and that offer portion control.
- Plan ahead: Take some time to plan out your meals for the week, and create a shopping list of the ingredients you’ll need. This will help streamline the meal prep process.
- Be flexible: Don’t be afraid to mix things up and try new recipes. Meal prep should be convenient and enjoyable, not restrictive or boring.
Q: How long do meal prepped meals last?
A: In general, most meal prepped meals will last for about 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Some meals, such as soups and stews, may last a bit longer.
Q: Can you freeze meal prepped meals?
A: Yes, many meal prepped meals can be frozen for longer storage. Be sure to label and date your meals, and use proper freezer-safe containers.
Q: What are some meal prep-friendly foods?
A: Foods that work well for meal prep include lean proteins like chicken and fish, whole grains like brown rice and quinoa, and a variety of fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables.
Q: Is meal prep time-consuming?
A: Meal prep can take some time, especially at first. However, the time you invest up front can save you time throughout the week, making it a worthwhile endeavor.